Black triangles occur between the bases of teeth. Although some people have always had black triangles, they tend to increase with age. Gingival or gum recession is probably the most common cause of black triangles. For many people, gums initially fill in the space between their teeth, but the thinnest, uppermost part of the gums, called the papillae, are vulnerable to damage and can recede. The most common cause of gum recession is gum disease, which affects two-thirds or more of American adults. Other causes of gum recession include aggressive tooth-brushing or flossing, acid damage, and tongue, lip, and cheek piercings.
Unfortunately, closing black triangles has always been a challenging problem in cosmetic dentistry. Porcelain veneers have been the standard to close black triangles, but they require removal of tooth structure and can be expensive. Dental bonding was also used as a less expensive options however, it’s more challenging, less durable, and more prone to staining due to the numerous layers that are bonded together.
BioClear gives us a great approach to closing black triangles that is cost effective, durable, and attractive.
Bioclear provides an additive approach to the natural tooth structure. It is created using a single composite tooth color or monolithic, that adds longer contacts and fullness to these areas of black triangles. Since it is monolithic it is also easier to maintain than dental bonding because it can be re-polished over time as each layer is the same. Dental bonding differs in that the layers that are used to bond to the tooth may be different than the final shade.
The Bioclear method works by using warmed composite resin that is distributed into thin plastic matrices on both sides of the tooth. Warm flow-able composite is then allowed to flow into the base of the matrices around the base of the tooth. This helps to eliminate any voids and provides the base for the longer contacts. Next the composite paste is added to the warm flow-able composite. The paste adds volume to the tooth and since it is warm, it mixes with some of the flow-able composite to create a monolithic tooth color that is durable, attractive and cost effective.
If you would like to learn whether Bioclear is right for you, please call (310) 923-7065 for cosmetic dental consultation at Simply Smiles Dental Care.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
About our business, license, and website security
- Simply Smiles Dental Care was established in 2013
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Los Angeles County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Torrance, Redondo Beach, West Carson, Lomita, Carson, Lawndale, Gardena, Rancho Palos Verdes
- Website Safety Ratings and Reputation – AVG Threat Labs. View Details
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Back to top of BioClear
- Torrance, CA